Most Dangerous Electrical Hazards in the Home

electrician Australia

What are the most dangerous home electrical hazards electrician Australia deals with?

In this modern world, people are more dependable on electricity. With this, there are more possibilities that electrical hazards occur in any home, restaurant, office, and in other places. Luckily, these electrical risks can be eliminated or prevented by giving sufficient attention and digesting steps at terminating the potential dangers which can be achieved through the assistance from an electrician Australia. Here are as follows:

Covered electrical wires and cords

One of the hazards that most of the people ignore is covering wires heavily. Unknowingly, this can cause the cords to overheat which can then lead to a fire. Keeping the wires and cords away from other items and are kept uncovered will help. Here are other things that should be noted:

  • Never attempt repairing appliances yourself and instead, contact a licensed electrician Australia.
  • Regularly check the switches, cords, and plugs of your appliances for faulty wirings.
  • Avoid plugging in too many appliances in power boards
  • Never jab anything into an appliance while it is still plugged or used
  • Dry your hands before you try to touch electrical appliances or switches.
  • Make sure all appliances are switched off or plugged out before cleaning areas such as the bathroom, laundry, or kitchen.

Defective electrical wires and poor wiring

It is vital for your safety to have a good quality wiring on your location. This is why it is best to avoid DIY electrical tasks and instead, hire professional electricians in performing electrical wiring jobs around the house. Be attentive at locating cracked, damaged, or corroded wires to lessen the chances of electrical accidents. It would be better to replace old and defective wires.

Other hazards included are the following:

  • Overheated cords or wires
  • Electrical wires chewed by rodents
  • Loose or improperly connected switches or electrical outlets
  • Detriment electrical appliances
  • Cracked insulation of wires due to corrosion, bending, age, or heat

Extension cords

With regards to extension cords, they should be carefully fixed in place where there will be fewer chances of it getting tripped. For unused sockets, use plastic socket closures. Also, don’t use it as a substitute for additional power sockets and overload it by plugging in too many appliances. When for outside use, use outdoor grade extension cords.

Lightbulbs

When kept near flammable materials such as plastics, beds, drapes or other upholstery items, light bulbs can be an electrical hazard. To avoid getting an electric shock, ensure that you will turn the switch off before replacing a bulb. Most importantly, don’t do this task with wet hands. And to prevent overheating, ensure correct wattage of the light bulb to be used.

Outlets near water sources

It is known that water conducts electricity, thus keeping outlets at a fair distance away from the water source, especially in kitchens, bathrooms, reduces the risk of electric shock. Have this checked by an experienced electrician Australia. Also, don’t attempt at using a phone, radio, hairdryer, or any other device near the pool, in the bath or at any place with a wet floor.

Thronging water on electrical fires

If ever an electrical fire happens, never pour water on the flames for this fuels the fire more and may cause instant electrocution. Instead, use fire extinguishers.

Should you have more to add to our list, comment them down below!

Leave a comment!