Major Causes of Electrical Accidents You Should Know

Master Electrician

Most electrical safety hazards can be prevented by basic common sense and a good electrical wiring plan. One of the most common homeowner’s mistakes that lead to electrical accidents is plugging too many things in one extension cord. It can always be prevented by taking safety measures and asking advice from a master electrician.  

Here are the common causes of electrical accidents:

Plugs and cords

Most fire protection associations have reported that electrical cords and plugs are responsible for the deaths of individuals that were related to electrical accidents every year. However, these are the easiest hazards to prevent as they can be replaced conveniently when visible burning or melting are noticed.

House wiring

Fixing the wiring on your own is not always a solution as it can cause accidents. This is the second leading cause of house fires. Common problems with household wiring systems can lead to overloaded circuits, damaged wires and loose connections on outlets, switches and other electrical devices.

Appliances and fixtures

Another common cause of electrical accidents is the misuse of lamps and light fixtures. Using a 100-watt bulb in a 60-watt fixture will melt the fixture wires, causing electrical shock and fire. Similar to appliances, don’t use any appliance or fixture when you notice sparks, buzzes, smoke, a damaged cord, or a burning smell. Switch them off and unplug immediately to prevent fires.

Wet areas

GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) is commonly used in kitchens, bathrooms, garages, outdoors, and any areas that are exposed to wet areas. Without GFCI, you might encounter electrical accidents like shock and fire. It is essential to hire a professional if GFCI is not installed in your home.

With these, you will able to prevent electrical accidents in your home, work, or any place involved with electricity. If you notice electrical issues, be sure to contact your master electrician to fix it immediately and avoid any further electrical damage.